Tuesday, September 27, 2011

The Famous Black Out

So at the end of my work day I was visiting one last account when all of the sudden all of the street lights started flashing red. Traffic started backing up and my cell phone kept dropping calls. I felt like I was in the twilight zone. I couldn't call my wife because her phone was broken and it was madness. The last call I went to was useless because their power was out and all our equipment was off. It turns out the whole San Diego County power went out from some power plant in Arizona and it shut us down from about 3:30pm to 3am. How did we find out that it turned back on at 3am you ask? Well we woke up to Connor screaming "HEY, HEY!!" So we walk in his room and his light was completely on which had woke him up. I would have been screaming "HEY" as well. Every hotel, restaurant, and grocery store was completely out of power so it was a little crazy.

So what better to do than enjoy the experience. We busted out the candles, the flashlights, lanterns, and the kids slept in their tent in the living room. We tried to eat anything remaining in the freezer that might go bad. We went over to our neighbors and ate all their popsicles. It was a good lesson in testing how prepared we are with our emergency kits. And it turns out that lack of batteries for flashlights isn't a valid excuse when you can't run to the store. What a wake up call! Anyway, it was a fun time.




1 comment:

Joyzelle said...

Always an interesting wake-up call...

You may want to ask Brent about which wrench he dropped into the APS power plant.